The Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC), Trade Union Congress (TUC) and United Labour Congress (ULC) have suspended the planned nationwide strike.
The industrial action was scheduled to commence 12am on Tuesday.
The suspension was announced Monday night in Abuja after a closed door meeting of the Tripartite Committee on new minimum wage.
NLC President, Ayuba Wabba, explained that the decision was reached after agreements and documents were signed.
“Having reached this position and agreements signed, the proposed strike action is hereby suspended,” he said.
Wabba, however, refused to disclose the exact figure agreed by the committee.
He noted that the amount would only be made public after presentation of the report to President Muhammadu Buhari later in day at 4:15pm.
DAILY POST gathered that the federal government eventually agreed to labour’s demand of N30,000 after union leaders made it clear that anything below that would lead to national shutdown.
Chairman of the Tripartite Committee, Ama Pepple, expressed her excitement that their assignment had been concluded.
“I am happy to report to you that we have concluded our assignment and we will submit our report to the President by 4.15pm on Tuesday.
“We will reveal the figure at the presentation,” she assured.
Minister of Labour, Chris Ngige, also said a mutual agreement on the new minimum wage would be made public after a meeting with the president.
Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha, hailed the resolution of the matter by all parties involved.
He added that overriding interest of Nigerians prevailed at the meeting.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here