A report by New Telegraph indicates that over 100 suspected homeless people have been evacuated from the Redemption Camp on the Lagos-Ibadan expressway. According to the report, the evacuation was carried out by policemen and security personnel of the Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG).

The destitute comprising of couples with their young children, middle-aged men and women as well as the elderly were said to have been dumped at different locations in Abeokuta, the Ogun state capital. It was learnt that policemen and RCCG security personnel raided the worship ground in the early hours of Wednesday, May 22 and apprehended the victims. The security agents were said to have bundled the destitute into waiting vehicles and drove them to Abeokuta under the cover of the night. The sight of the destitute at Oke-Sokori, Kuto and Iyana Mortuary areas of Abeokuta sparked tension among residents.

Rumours that some of the victims might have been used for money rituals also spread like wildfire, even as angry residents rained curses on those responsible for their plight. Some of the destitute, who claimed to have spent between six months and one year at the Redemption Camp, accused the church authorities of victimisation. The victims explained that the RCCG security operatives with policemen indiscriminately rounded them up during vigil service midnight on Tuesday, May 21 and threw them into waiting vehicles which eventually took them to Abeokuta. A 38-year-old businessman, who is one of the victims, Emmanuel Obi, explained that he was at the Redemption Camp for the Holy Ghost Service, where he left his wife and headed to Lagos state to buy some goods. Obi, who hails from Nnewi north local government area of Anambra state, said when he returned, he learnt that his wife and six-month-old baby had been raided and kept in police custody within the camp, hence, his decision to join them. Another victim, Priscilla Okonkwo, said she came to the camp from Ajangbadi in Lagos state because of her accommodation challenges. The 42-year-old native of Abia state, lamented her eviction from the church premises. But when contacted on the telephone, the head of media, RCCG, Pastor Olaitan Olubiyi, absolved the church of any blame. Olubiyi denied the allegation that the church forcibly ejected the destitute from its premises, explaining that what the church did was simply to purge the camp of miscreants and others with criminal tendencies.

His words: “We have a system through which we screen those who genuinely come for prayers. We also have an approved way of taking care of the destitute in the church of God. “Whenever anyone comes for prayer, we do ensure that we properly document their data in our register to prevent criminal situations. But those ones you see illegally found their ways into the church. “Some of them were screened for the purpose of knowing their challenges and those with genuine accommodation problems were assisted. But you will discover that they change their addresses and still return to the church.”

DON'T MISS

Chicharito slams Moyes over ‘error’ that ‘still haunts’ Man United

Javier Hernandez thinks Man Utd made the wrong decision in hiring David Moyes to be Sir Alex Ferguson’s successor with his appointment “still haunting” the club. Man United have struggled to hit the heights...

Ronaldo names Liverpool, PSG stars in top 5 players

Ronaldo ranks Liverpool striker Mo Salah and imaginary transfer target Kylian Mbappe among his five favourite current players. The legendary Brazilian has a clear “number one”, followed by players from the Premier League, La...

Zola names two players who got ‘bored’ under Sarri

Zola served as assistant manager under Sarri during the current Juventus boss’ sole season in charge at Stamford Bridge, in what was a campaign of mixed success. Chelsea won the Europa League and finished...

Midnight inferno razes Lagos market, destroys property worth billions

Tragedy occurred in the early hours of today, Saturday, when fire gutted Olaleye Market in Somolu, Bariga area of Lagos State, with property worth billions of naira destroyed. Director-General, Lagos State Emergency Management...

Osimhen’s a perfect replacement for Ighalo ― Iwobi

Everton winger Alex Iwobi believes Victor Osimhen can replace Odion Ighalo in the national team, with the experienced Manchester United striker calling time on his international career shortly after the 2019 Africa Cup of...

FG to pay unemployed youths N20,000 to maintain public infrastructure

As part of President Muhammadu Buhari’s agenda to reduce unemployment rate in the country, the Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Mr Festus Keyamo (SAN), said that the Federal Government has agreed to...
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments